Sunday, October 14, 2007

Quitters collect here...

I remember I got a random email in January this year. I had made an attempt to quit smoking around that time and I blogged about how I had quit. Apparently someone read that post and thought I had quit smoking successfully then when I really hadn't. So I was never able to answer the email. To be perfectly honest, I don't think I am currently in a position to advise on how to quit smoking, since my most successful attempt was also in vain. I intend to try to quit again (and I will never quit trying); till then, I will just share the email here.

Hey man,

You don't know me, and I dont know you. This is a fake email address, and that ain't my real name.

But I need your help. You quit smoking right. Its in that vein.

The guys I hang around with smoke, and till last semester, I was staunch against not smoking, but this sem, I dunno what happened, but I started, (half cos of the insanely cheap duty free cigs these guys had got). I thought that as long as I dont start buying packs, I wont start smoking 'proper'. Well, the duty free ones are over and I bought a pack today.

I cant even give a reason to why I started. Absolutely no explanation. Last week I decided that it was not worth it and that I wont smoke.

Apparently, that dint work, and 3 days later, I was smoking again. Today I bought a pack. Weekend, I smoked enough. (6 in a day is more than enough for me!)

I feel that Im getting hooked onto em, that too just for a few minutes of kick that the cigarette gives.

Fuck man, really, what do I do... Its tough being around these guys who smoke, my best friends.... but will power is something that's failed me, quite a few times now.

A month of smoking, i doubt its done any real harm to me yet, and I seriously dont wanna get hooked.. but I feel im getting hooked..

Please dude, if u can take some time out, and reply to this mail... ill be grateful..

Thanks a lot dude...

Marcos

P.S.: like i said, that aint my real name. This email isn't even how I type. Identity secrecy is a must.

3 comments:

ar zhou said...

As long as you try, I am sure you will succeed.

h@n| said...

good luck =)

w a n x i n said...

Hey Nabeel,

I am so touched by your effort to quit smoking. I hope my sis' bf can have the effort to quit like you too!

Smoking (substance-dependency) is a chapter I have to do this sem, so probably can offer some humble advice here.

1. Nicotine patch or gum does help.

2. My tutor said that if you really wanna quit, it's better to stop it once and for all, i.e. cold turkey for the rest of your life, else your brain will be conditioned to think that it will be fed with nicotine again after the deprivation, i.e. it will always crave for it even after a period of deprivation. So don't condition it to be like that.

Probably can offer my insight on dieting. It's like the same situation too, just that it's less harmful.

If you accidentally take one pack of snacks during grocery shopping, delay payment time so that when you find a second of sanity, you can put it back on the rack. I call this 'de-shop'.

Throw away food that you buy on impulse when you are struck by the moment of sanity. Wasting the money will make your heart ache and think twice when you wanna buy again.

Declare to your friends around you about your will to diet. Get them to support and check you. Get into the mindset that their strict and irritating checking is there to help when your soul is weak. They are there to help police the mind.

Find other sources of happiness and gratification.

Instead of being preoccupied with not eating, get preoccupied with other stuff. Like @ or post-exam fun.

Set a deadline for the 'torture period', and challenge yourself to just play the game of diet for this period of time. It's just a game~ This makes the challenge easier to fathom and to commit to it, since there's a date where you will be liberated. But when the deadline is near, you can always set yet another deadline.

Hehe.. now I unshamely declare my dieting plan! And you can be here to watch me!